Monday, October 15, 2012

"Sexy and I know It"


“I’m Sexy and I know It”
Grace Reef

During the 2012 Super bowl there was an epic commercial presented by M&M.  It included a brown female M&M talking with friends, in the background there are two men standing and laughing at the M&M.  She stopped talking to ask her friends if he was laughing at her.  One friend responds “he thinks your naked”.  She is only brown because that is the color of her shell.  Meanwhile another red M&M shows up and responds with “OH! It’s that kind of party” ripping his shell off and dancing to the song “I’m Sexy and I Know It”.   
This commercial has the sex appeal of taking clothes off but also is being shown directed to an older target market for a small chocolate candy.  When I think of a chocolate treat I usually think of a kids treat, selling to an older crowd is part of market development; trying to reach a new target market.  M&M is in a generic market, for the fact that they had a broad amount of people that eat their product.  Not everyone would enjoy this commercial as much as I did; small children enjoy M&M as well as many other ages, so showing this commercial is not appropriate for small children to be watching.  They also use branding to advertise their product; everyone knows what M&M’s are so they don’t have much explaining to do about the product. 
Being a young college student I really enjoyed watching this commercial, the cultural and social environment I am in I could easily become a potential customer.  I believe this is a good way to advertise, they have a well-known song and a product that many people know about, plus it was a really funny commercial.  Overall I think M&M did a great job in the marketing aspect on this commercial. 

 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI0ff3iO3n0 

No comments:

Post a Comment