Monday, December 3, 2012

Must see... movie?


As marketing and advertising are becoming more and more prevalent in our daily lives, we now find ourselves exposed to advertising without even realizing or expecting it. Movie trailers are a very specific form of advertising that appeal to a direct target market. Seeing a few specific genres of trailers played before your movie of a correlating theme has become expected, and even happily anticipated. However, commercials are beginning to sneak their way into our 10 minutes of pre-movie fun.
While attending a movie this past weekend, I was watching what appeared to be a trailer for a seasonal love themed movie. The trailer continued on for about 20 seconds, until – BAM – the main characters smack right into a refrigerator, and my typically unadulterated movie experience has just been infiltrated by a Sears advertisement.
I will say that the shock value of the advertisement caught my attention. I had to take a moment to decide whether I was annoyed or impressed – and settled on intrigued. While I do not think that commercials belong in movie theaters once the lights have dimmed down, (I’ll let them have their way with the people who choose to arrive 30 minutes early) I do commend Sears for their creative approach in penetrating a target market. Hats off to you, Sears


No comments:

Post a Comment