Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Lite Cleaning

"Baby will you pleasseee do the dishes?"

"But there aren't enough to fill the dishwasher, so nope."

Sound familiar? Before purchasing a new home this past summer I thought there were two options to this situation:

The first being wash them by hand; another argument in itself.

The second to let them pile up until there was enough for a full load in the dishwasher; running it half full is just a waste of water.

Now that I'm a new homeowner who has had the privilege of becoming known by my first name by home improvement stores all over south east Michigan I have discovered a third solution:

A portable or small capacity dishwasher!

These appliances are not much bigger than a microwave and hold around four to six place settings. They come in either a model similar to larger units that are built into the cabinetry of your kitchen, or are portable and can be moved from counter top to table if needed.

These hidden household gems are not widely advertised and are found in remodeling and home improvement magazines. The target market is focused on non traditional households. Those that are missing the white picket fence, 2.5 kids, and a dog. These houses or apartments are for individuals or couples just beginning their lives together. The product is just as efficient as full capacity models and use the same cleaning agents. Though half the size the price is similar to the full sized units, and is between $170 and $300.

Does the limited marketing approach work?
Though outside of my own I haven't seen one in any other kitchens, but I must say, I bought one. I'm sure there are others around that would agree it is an easy, though slightly pricey, solution to the evening dishes argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment