Monday, March 18, 2013

Viral Power: Word Got Out!



            It was hard to make a decision on which T-Mobile commercial I wanted to use because I actually enjoyed all of their my touch commercials.  I chose an older commercial because I wanted to look at the progression of a company from a few years ago and see if they are any increases in sales or if the company was heading in the right direction.  According to an article on twice.com, since the year 2009, which is when this commercial was shot, the company ended the year with its first full-year subscriber- base gain, but had a deeper net lost.
I personally enjoy commercials that endorse athletes, and in my opinion T-Mobile wasn’t competing too well with its counterparts (Sprint, Verizon and AT&T) which was narrowed my decision down to one of their commercials.  Of all the DWade and Chuck commercials, I chose this one with DWade locked in the closet because looking back at this commercial shows the advancement of technology from then to now.  It also shows that if you do or don’t want something known or misconstrued, once it goes viral, it is all over. The commercial depicts him being locked in a closet, and sends a video via phone shouting, “get me out of here!” The video sent to Chuck’s phone hit face book hard, and had fans thinking he wanted a trade.  He then became marketable to fans that wanted him to sign with the Bulls and or the Celtics.  After room service lets him out, she informs him he is on the news, and his confused look was priceless.
I definitely believe the my touch commercials of 2009 endorsing NBA athletes helped-Mobile become more relevant in the cell phone carrier industry.
http://www.twice.com/articletype/financial/t-mobile-usa-posts-more-subs-lower-sales-gain-net-loss/105221



No comments:

Post a Comment